Monday, August 24, 2009

Philly Continued





So as I was saying, Reading Terminal Market quickly became my favorite place ever in the City of Philadelphia. I went here at least once a day for a coffee and a delicious Amish pretzel during my stay (sadly, the Amish apparently went on vacation and were MIA for the last 4 days of my stay. TRAGIC).

Unfortunately, all my pretzel photos were lost (long story), but let me just say that an Amish pretzel is no Auntie Anne's. It is a soft, wonderful delight filled with nooks and crannies of buttery rivers of amazingness. The first time I tasted one of these, I promise you I felt like I had gone to pretzel heaven. These shall be on the buffet table in Heaven, people!


+++


Reading was also the place to get delicious ice cream from (supposedly) world-famous Bassetts, amazing amazing pastries (including their own delicious version of a pretzel, a fat giant food item with some sort of seed on top) at Metropolitan Bakery, and crazy treats from Flying Monkey Patisserie like the Kitchen Sink Brownie, pictured below.



As the name implies, it is pretty much a Kitchen Sink Brownie. Cookies, pretzels, potato chips, M&M's, you name it. Yum.

+++

Random trivia. The Macy's in City Center, which is housed in the old Wanamaker Building, has a functioning pipe organ that an organist actually plays, for goodness sake! I went in here looking for clearance rack summer items and was completely blown away to hear some dude belting away at the pipes.


My friend G, who grew up in Philly, said that in the kid's department they used to have some sort of elevated train you could go on that whizzed along the ceiling. But they don't have that anymore, probably due to insurance reasons.



No comments: