Yesterday I took what I thought would be a very tiny break from working on an upcoming lecture. I decided to give an At Home Pretzel "Kit" a try that my friend Sooz kindly passed onto me.
Basically this kit consisted of a packet of flour, baking soda, yeast and salt. So it wasn't so much a kit as much as a box that puts all the stuff you already have in your kitchen inside one small place.
After about 3 and a half hours (not really the small break I imagined, but I did learn a lot from the whole experience), I realized that kit or no kit, this pretzel-making business is hardcore stuff. Just look at the little monstrosities I created above.

And this is how they turned out. They look like little pale turkeys (admittedly, some were a wee bit undercooked). But the pretzels actually did not taste so bad, especially with a little side of mustard. Now they're no Amish pretzels from Philly, but they were decent enough to pass the at-home pretzel test. Thanks Sooz, for this fun little project! I plan on making more in the future from scratch!

1 comment:
Damn! I don't think they have those big soft pretzels here. If they did, they might not be right, the way bagels aren't. They look good, if also like dumps.
Post a Comment