All of a sudden, I am fascinated by the idea of vegan baking. I consider myself a pretty good baker when it comes to using traditional ingredients, but is it possible to replicate those recipes without implementing said traditional ingredients?

(Pictured above are some vegan chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter chip cookies I made this afternoon. Verdict: Pretty darn good, but sort of weird that they don't brown the way traditional chocolate chip cookies do. Aesthetics definitely count in terms of baked goods.)
Anyway, this vegan fascination does not come from cow-loving or anything like that. What I do like is the idea of the challenge. And admittedly, another huge part of my newfound interest is the fact that vegan baking is so much easier to do. No eggs? No problem. There is no waiting around for butter to soften or eggs to come to room temp. And best of all you can HAND MIX a lot of the baking recipes!! No having to take out my darn step ladder to get the hand mixer from the top shelf and no cleaning of the beaters. Major bonuses.
Judging by the way the awesome vegan chocolate cupcakes turned out, I think I'm hooked.
PS: It is rumored that Mr. A. Bourdain will be in town next week to film an upcoming episode of No Reservations. I am not saying that there will be any "stalking" per se on part of the Team, but that there may be heightened interest in "hanging out" in the Mission district on that particular day. Not that he would approve of someone whose interests include the challenges of Vegan Baking, but ya know, just in case.
2 comments:
Ummm... maybe you'd like to mail a couple of these to me?
Also: you aren't in cahoots with these guys, are you:
http://hezbollahtofu.blogspot.com/
oh yeah, you've told me about that site before! def. need to investigate now. i can email you the recipe for the choco cupcakes. darn GOOD.
Post a Comment