A few days ago, a lot of weird and sad stuff happened in the world. Farrah Fawcett died (I used to have a purple Farrah Fawcett t-shirt--I got to pick the iron-on out at the stand in the mall--and I wore that thing out until the iron-on started crumbling off) and shockingly, at the age of 50, so did Michael Jackson (Off the Wall--one of the best albums of all time). On that same day, Anthony Bourdain turned 53. He eats like a horse, drinks like a horse, and still maintains that skinny-*ss figure. I remain amazed and envious.
+++
In kitchen news...
Head Chef took over baking duties in the Small Fry kitchen to make these delicious scones with fresh blueberries and candied ginger.


In other news, this little foodie went on a crazy deliciousness extravaganza of the Mission District in the past few days. Wednesday evening it was off to Beretta for squid-ink risotto and margherita pizza with some friends from out of town. Friday was spent with more peeps from outa town at The (Amazing) Front Porch for pickled items (like baby carrots), fried plantains (mmm, slightly salty and so amazing with the unspecified cream sauce), fried okra with jalepeno lime aioli, shrimp and grits, and some fries stolen off of Head Chef's plate. And finally, Saturday, Udupi Palace for some, dare I say!, really good Indian food (I think it's called Poori, a fried puffy bread--it was de-licious). I never thought I'd say there was decent Indian food in the East Bay.

3 comments:
Hold up. Is "squid-ink" risotto just a name, or is there actually squid-ink in there? There's a part of me that wants to believe that if it's the latter, it leaves your entire mouth covered in black for five days.
Nope, it's actually squid ink. Does not leave a black coating inside the mouth, I'm sorry to report.
That pizza at Beretta was delish and I haven't any decent left coast pizza before so I was skeptical. Those blueberry scones look awesome.
Post a Comment