Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Day Person


Last Thursday I became one of them--a Day Person. My friend Kangaroo B coined the term "The Day People" to describe the folk of New York City who kind of just...hang out. No work, no school. Not a care in the world. They just sort of walk around during the day, sometimes carrying shopping bags, sometimes just sitting on benches. Granted, Kanga and I were probably both Day People ourselves at one point, since we were just hanging out during the day, observing The Day People.

So anyway, last Thursday was a perfect NYC day. Ever so slightly overcast, so it was sunny and yet cool. Perfect, perfect. After a quick visit to an old colleague on the Upper East Side, I stopped for some delicious greasiness in the form of margherita pizza at some random pizza shop.



Ladies and gentlemen of other regions, take note! This is how a slice is supposed to taste!

This was followed by a trip to the Whitney, and then a long meandering walk through Central Park, where I observed tons of Day People and stopped to get a pretzel. Like a true New Yorker, the pretzel guy dutifully jipped me of a buck-fifty. Like a no-longer resident of NY, I dutifully did not notice until it was too late. Fine job, pretzel guy!

I had walked all the way from 80th and East End to 34th and 8th to meet my friend in no time.

It is days like this one that truly make me miss New York.

2 comments:

Kangaroo B said...

Small correction: I got the term 'day people' from my friend Jeff Gilligan. Some of you may be familiar with Gilligan's work: he directed the artwork for Weird Al Yankovic's, "Straight Outta Lynwood."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_Outta_Lynwood

Small Fry Crafts said...

I stand corrected!