My friend Rach took me to an amazing old ice cream shop in Old City called the Franklin Fountain, that serves PHOSPHATES!!! I swear, I never thought I would ever see phosphates again after my last trip to Arizona 7 years ago. However, I opted for the mint chocolate chip ice cream. It was really hot that day, and a phosphate just didn't seem like it would cut it.
+++
So yeah, that's one more thing to absolutely love about Philadelphia. But one of the things I will cereally miss the most is the neighborhood I lived in in West Philly.
First of all, I got to live in this amazing fully furnished apartment all by my lonesome.
(Apologies for gratuitous photos, I'm trying to make up for my lack of food pix.)





Second of all, people in the neighborhood--of yes, all different races--are friendly. When I say friendly, I mean they look up from their gardening or smile when they are walking their dog and say, "Good morning," or "hello." In the neighborhood I currently live in, that means, "I would really like to sexually assault you," (the greetings here usually involve the words, "HEY BABY") or "I would like to mug you with this revolver I just bought from the street corner!"
Third of all, I was getting into the routine of taking the 5 minute walk to a cafe called The Gold Standard for a good cup of joe and a bagel, served by really friendly staff.
And fourth of all, I lived close to a gem called Fu-Wah Mini Market that serves up a mean marinated Tofu Hoagie for a mere $3.75 that has apprently been featured in Gourmet Magazine. Vegans, take note. This thing is worth a trip to West Philly alone.
Sadly, my pics of food end here. I actually had to do work and prep for a lecture. But trust me, I ate well all the times in-between. I can't wait to go back and try all the places that were recommended to me, but I ran out of time to get to. Thank you, City of Brotherly Love!





2 comments:
Ooh, that apartment is a beauty! Good East Coastern times. Strangers here totally say hi when you're walking, and it took some getting used to.
Ummm...what is a phosphate...over than a chemical that I know is a pollutant?
Post a Comment