The last quick update for the day. I have a Super Crush on Reading Terminal Market, which I have visited at least once a day since my second day in Philadelphia.
+++
But before I get to that (to come in a future update), let me just say that Philly has a problem with muffins. The first time I attempted to eat one here, I ordered a blueberry muffin from a coffee shop called the Green Line Cafe. Upon all appearances, it looked perfectly normal.
And then I took a bite. Disgusting. Foul. Nastifying. Not even the TOP was any good, and the muffin top is the muffin's freaking saving grace, people!
So I ate about an eighth of it and tossed the rest. So freaking gross.
+++
Philadelphia, I gave you a second chance. The next day I bought a chocolate chip muffin from Le Bus Bakery in Reading Terminal. Once AGAIN, this city makes it obvious that it is trying to kill tourists with their nasty-*ss muffins. I picked all the chocolate chips out of the muffin and threw out the rest.
Tip of the Day:
Le Bus is the place to send your frenemy if you are into playing practical jokes. The woman that works there is bitter and disgruntled. And she'll serve you a crappy pastry to boot.
Bonus:
As seen and overheard at the Green Line Cafe.
Frail-looking, white-haired man in his late 60s or early 70s walks in. A large man with long, wavy hair (imagine someone who rides a Harley) is sitting at a table close to the front door.
Large man: Hi, Joe!
Frail man: Hi, Dave!
They start talking. Blah blah blah. And then this.
Frail man: And that's my youngest out there, he's 14!
(Points to young boy sitting at a table outside)
Large man: (almost spitting out coffee, and saying this very slowly)
W-O-W.
+++
Happier food times to come. They will not involve muffins.
No comments:
Post a Comment