Sunday, August 2, 2009

Old Haunts


Cereally, one of my favorite places in the entire world (although I have little travel experience) is the Hungarian Pastry Shop in Morningside Heights. I DARE you to find a better brioche and croissant with apricot jam. Best when straight out of the oven, but just as scrumptious when not. I don't know how many sugar-topped brioche I've eaten from this place, but let's just say I used to eat here almost every single day for almost 4 years, and I never, not once, have ever had a bad experience with said items.


Does it not look like a small turkey? Their croissants and brioche are consistently amazing (although I'm not a big fan of some of their other items--except the chocolate pudding-concoction, which is awesome). I met one of my best friends from Boston, who I have not seen in 9 years!, for a late-day pastry and ice coffee here yesterday. You can see Nic's own brioche-turkey peeking behind his glass of ice-coffee in the back there.


After meeting up with other folks for a trip along the Highline, we went to Mary Ann's for some Mexican. Definitely not Frontera, but a favorite go-to place of mine for Mexican. You know what you're getting into when you go there, and they serve a mean strawberry margherita.


The craziest thing about the dish above is the guacamole taco (!!!!). Gross and yet...oh so good. Lots of cheese-and-beans going on here. Which of course needed to be immediately counteracted with a delicious cupcake from a bakery around the corner. To be continued...

Note to self: jabanero hot sauce--do not splash across large portions of food!!!


3 comments:

Colleen said...

In response to your use of "cereally," which I love that you still say, I am so jello of your visit to New York with all its tasty delights and its High Lines. Don't know when I'll get that way again, hopefully before we move back in June.

Susannah said...

oh- that beings back sweet memories. i love your east coast food adventures!

Kartek said...

You had quite the food eating saturday! That brioche looks huge!