Monday, April 6, 2009

Baked Alaska

I have been out at sea for the past several days, and the best food I had by far was a giant piece of Baked Alaska, which I had never tasted prior to this experience. White cake stuffed inside a dome of vanilla ice cream and topped with heavenly meringue. It's too bad I can't say that I had the best Mexican food I've ever had in my life, but I'll just have to go back to Mexico via a non-ship to do that.

Let me just say that this trip was really really weird. But I was sure to take lots of notes which I hope will somehow turn into a decent personal essay.  I am notorious for throwing out every single poem, story and chapters of books I have ever written. I am proud to say I did keep about 2 or 3 tiny books I made when I was little (we are talking like 5 to 7 years old). I would bind these "books" in cardboard and plastic to resemble the hardcover books found in libraries. One title I believe is something like "Johnny Had a Bad Day" and the other book is about cheese.

The only other piece of writing I can remember keeping is a short mystery I wrote when I was probably in 3rd or 4th grade. It was titled "The Mystery of the Shopping Cart" and it involved a grocery store, a mansion, a fireplace, and the main suspect, Eddie Van Halen (because I was obsessed with him at the time).

Oh. And the sitcom pilot which is apparently useless. 

But this essay I plan to write shall involve the likes of food buffets and food-related failures. So hopefully it will be a keeper. More food posts to come soon, I promise!

2 comments:

Susannah said...

can i pleeeease read the mystery of the shopping cart? that sounds amazing.

Small Fry Crafts said...

That is honestly the only decent thing I have ever written. It was typewritten Jack Kerouac style on a blue typewriter I got for Christmas. If I find it when I go home I will share it with you. I can't promise that the "mystery" was that difficult to solve though...