Thursday, April 9, 2009

Food on TV



I am a foodie TV junkie. I was a huge fan of Bourdain while he was still on Food Network (I got to say a few words about this to him in person once, being the stalker that I am) but sadly, I do not have full-blown cable so I am unable to watch No Reservations on a regular basis these days.

I have pretty much followed Jamie Oliver's TV career (at the same reading mentioned above, Bourdain said of Jamie Oliver, "He's young, he's good-looking. What's not to hate?"). The Naked Chef, one of the best shows of all time (I was so jello of him riding around to pick up fresh produce on his scooter, sliding down his banister to get to his kitchen), then onto Oliver's Twist, Happy Days Live!, and onto his more serious projects: School Dinners (amazing documentary), Return to School Dinners, Fifteen, Jamie's Ministry of Food. And of course, Jamie's Italy (also incredible) and Jamie at Home (which the U.S. Food Network has idiotically moved to some crazy early hour on Saturday so that only insomniacs are able to catch it. They of course keep filling that time slot with another big-breasted kitchen slut who "cooks" semi-homemade fare. WTF is wrong with that network?).

I am also a big fan of Gordon Ramsey's The F Word, which is nothing like the crappy Hell's Kitchen or Kitchen Nightmares on the Fox network (which to clarify, is also nothing like Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, which is the much better BBC version).

And so for the past two nights, The Team has been watching episodes of After Hours with Daniel, hosted by New York superstar Daniel Boulud, on Hulu. And I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. I mean, I can't honestly say it's "fun" to watch. 

Then again, let's be honest here and say that this is only to pass time until the next season of Top Chef and more importantly, Top Chef Masters, which will feature of all people!!! Rick Bayless of Mexican Food Genius. I am curious to see how SF's Elizabeth Faulkner will do. I can't say much for her cupcakes, but the homemade marshmallow at Citizen Cake is right up my alley (and did I mention that there is a photo of myself and Head Chef in the introduction of her cookbook from a few years ago? I look like I'm picking my nose, but what's new).

+++



In other news, I received this from Head Chef as a Turning Older gift and I am very excited by what is on these pages. Don't be surprised if I give you some yummy cupcakes that you find out months later are actually...vegan.

No comments: