I recently went to Chicago, where my cousin took me to some pretty amazing eateries. My trip ended with Gravalox Benedict at LUXBAR, owed by the same folks who run the legendary Gibson's Steakhouse. But what I must really address is the crazy food spree from the day before.
M. took me to this incredible bakery called Sweet Mandy B's in Lincoln Park.

I didn't have my camera with me, so I stole these photos from the internets.


We were on a really long line that snaked around the store and out the front door, so I had plenty of time to salivate. I was mesmerized by the delicious looking cakes, cookies, and puddings lining the glass cases, not to mention the HUNDREDS of cupcakes occupying space in the small shop. Let me just say right now that these are THE best vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting that I have ever tasted from a bakery. And that's saying a lot. I hate to insult all of you New Yorkers, but the moist and delicious cake consistency kicks the *ss of Magnolia cupcakes, as well as those from the really expensive Love at First Bite in Berkeley (I never really loved their cupcakes anyway, but hey, a cupcake is a cupcake).
Vanilla cupcake with that crazy-good frosting pictured above. I think they might put crack in their frosting. It's that good.

Evidence of the red velvet cupcake I ate before going to (drumroll please) Frontera Grill. That story's in the next post.
(I guess I should admit right now that M. and I ate cupcakes after coming home from her friend's party at 2:30 in the morning. As wrong as that sounds, I would do it all again!!)
M. took me to this incredible bakery called Sweet Mandy B's in Lincoln Park.
I didn't have my camera with me, so I stole these photos from the internets.
We were on a really long line that snaked around the store and out the front door, so I had plenty of time to salivate. I was mesmerized by the delicious looking cakes, cookies, and puddings lining the glass cases, not to mention the HUNDREDS of cupcakes occupying space in the small shop. Let me just say right now that these are THE best vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting that I have ever tasted from a bakery. And that's saying a lot. I hate to insult all of you New Yorkers, but the moist and delicious cake consistency kicks the *ss of Magnolia cupcakes, as well as those from the really expensive Love at First Bite in Berkeley (I never really loved their cupcakes anyway, but hey, a cupcake is a cupcake).
Vanilla cupcake with that crazy-good frosting pictured above. I think they might put crack in their frosting. It's that good.
Evidence of the red velvet cupcake I ate before going to (drumroll please) Frontera Grill. That story's in the next post.
(I guess I should admit right now that M. and I ate cupcakes after coming home from her friend's party at 2:30 in the morning. As wrong as that sounds, I would do it all again!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment